Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Wedding Belles

Anyone who knows me well knows that I have a sometimes unhealthy obsession with weddings. 
But let's stop there and clear up what my obsession concerns before I die of judgement from you all. 
Im am in no rush to get married. Entering into the act of marriage for me seems an eternity away (if it even happens) and I'm not going to be one of those women who buys the dress before I meet the man. 

The preparation, the ceremony, reception, clothes, accessories, food, invitations, drinks, party favours, and location are what interests me. I really believe that there are very few more complete ways to piece together the identity of a woman than to look at her wedding. (Having said that I do know that many vibrant couples choose to have low key weddings that do not necessarily reflect their personality as a couple or as a bride).

No two weddings are alike and the whole concept of personal identity shown through every single detail of a person's wedding is what fascinates me, not the idea of marriage itself. 

I have truck-loads of ideas concerning my favourite locations, menus, bridal party attire etc that I could waffle on about for a hundred posts but instead I'm going to focus on one of the key pieces in a wedding, The Bride's Dress (or attire). 
The categories are GOOD, BAD & PLAIN WIERD. Most of them are celebrities in all categories.  I've selected 4 or so dresses in each category. This post is devoted to the 'GOOD' dresses and I hope to address them in a way that even the most cynical, wedding hating person will enjoy (with a bit of pop culture, history and salacious gossip thrown in). 

#1. Perfect for the Occasion
1956   Grace Kelly & Prince Rainier of Monaco 



#2. Perfect for the couple
1971   Mick and Bianca Jagger

Even though Bianca Jagger has been quoted as saying "My marriage [to Mick] ended on my wedding day" you can't deny how happy she looks in this photo. I've always loved this photo cause it looks so damn rock'n'roll. Everything from Mick's slightly disheveled suit to Bianca's massive hat and sexy low cut suit kneeling at the altar in their traditional Roman Catholic ceremony scream 'untouchable' and thats what they were at the time. 
Mick met Bianca (maiden name De Macais) a year before this wedding at a Rolling Stones after party and Bianca was 4 months pregnant at the time of the wedding which is probably the reason they got married in the first place). The ceremony took place in St.Tropez in the South of France.


#3. Perfect for the Ceremony
2007  Erica Baxter & James Packer


This photo was taken after the first of the couple's civil ceremonies. This one took place in the Hotel De Ville (or Town Hall) in Antibes (South of France...again). As much as I perceive this marriage to be a bit shifty *cough gold digger cough* I can't deny that Erica's plain white suit is perfect for the occasion of just-slipping-into-the-Town-Hall-to-get-married-with-one-or-two-witnesses (lets not go into the Vera Wang copycat monstrosity she wore for their second celebrity studded civic ceremony). 
I think the sunglasses with the wedding attire might just be a little self indulgent but I do love her choice of flowers, (I just wish I could see her shoes).

So there you have it, next installment: BAD, when wedding attire goes really wrong. 

Which of these weddings has got the best frock? Comment and let me know!

-Beatrice

No comments:

Post a Comment