Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Ode to the Silk Scarf

In a world of ugly cult brand handbags, hideous jewellry trends and ugly technology,I truly believe that the perfect accessory and travel companion is the humble silk scarf.

I was first introduced to the usefulness of a silk scarf as a traveller overseas when I was 16. I bought my first silk scarf on Brick Lane which is kind of like Oxford street for antique clothes in London. 

When travelling, a silk scarf becomes invaluable as it doubles as a headband, neck warmer, headscarf, blindfold, necktie, cravat and ties around almost anywhere (be inventive my children). Its a blanket on the train, an eyemask on the plane, hides bad hair days and unsightly love bites and all the while looks chic with almost any type of outfit at any event. Cruising a museum? Cravat. Going out for dinner? Around your bun or pony tail. Driving a convertible? Prevents fly-aways. Shopping? Layered around your wrist. Floaty dress? Cinch and belt it with a twisted scarf. Partying in Ibiza? Its a top! 

Probably one of the best things about silk scarves is their ability to look great no matter what brand (but bonus points if you shelled out for a classic Chanel one). They come in all colours and sizes (mines a quite small royal blue one with a pattern). Silk scarves are pretty much unique in the accessories industry in that the scarves that are the nicest ones (vintage, medium size) usually cost less than the Hermes tragedies with horses all over them. 

You can find silk scarves anywhere. Vinnes usually have a stash but if you're going overseas I really do recommend a visit to Brick Lane or Portobello Road in London to stock up on some really nice, unique vintage scarves (why didn't I buy more than one? WHY).
Here's a picture of my beloved scarf. Sorry for the bad photo quality, I took it on Mac Photobooth.


-Beatrice

1 comment:

  1. Bibi! The blog is coming along nicely! I love the heading - good work.

    Now on the topic of scarves, some great ideas in there!! ive never been confident enough to wear them as anything but a scarf, but I'm feeling that is such a waste when i have so many!! thankyou for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete